This is Day 7 of the Scintilla Project, and the prompt I chose to use has to do with tribes. The challenge is to list all of the tribes we belong to, cultural, literary, personal…and then talk about the experience of being in your element in these tribes.
Synonyms for tribe include word like association, blood, caste, clan, class, division, dynasty, house, ilk, kin, kind, kindred, lineage, people, race, seed, society, sort, stock, and type. The most interesting definition to me was that tribe can be a “flexibly defined community of convenience.”
The tribes I belong to, or have claimed to be a part of, include words like female, daughter, sister, wife, mom, grandma. Then there is American, Midwesterner, women of faith, baby boomer…and did I say grandma? (Oh, yes, I did!) There is also cat lover, blogger, photographer.
Heavily influenced by too much TV as a kid, and many Cowboy and Indian programs which I seemed to have watched a lot of, my idea of tribe includes these ideas:
- To be in the tribe, you become one of Them.
- You dress like Them.
- Act like Them.
- Think like Them.
- You unite in their cause, even going into battle with Them if necessary.
- Or sit around the fire an enjoy the proverbial peace pipe.
- And there is paint. Applied to the body.
- You identify with Them…even dwell with Them.
|Grandma and Garrett
- I dress like Them…trying to hide the cellulite and bulges as best I can.
- I think like Them. (No one else’s grandkid is a cute as mine..)
- I am united in Their cause…I will do all I can to spoil this kid. Then give him back.
- I may not ever go to battle with them because I don’t like violence; however, I will make a fool of myself just to get the kid to laugh or smile (as shown in photo above).
- As for an occasional peace pipe? A glass of wine will do nicely.
- Paint? Makeup can hide a lot of stuff.
- I do identify with Grandmas. I understand why we cry when these babies are born.
- Dwell with the Grandmas? Na. But if Nathan should ever build that extra room on the back of his house….I’m there.